[Jacob-list] Medical / Social behavior ...

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 08:40:57 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/9/2003 9:30:59 AM Central Standard Time,
oberlef at supernet.com writes:

> I think what you are seeing is very normal...even to me the 'fun' part
> about Jacob behavior.  I notice here that removing a ram does send ewes in a
> quick social show-down for a while.  (dry peeing is nothing to worry
> about...peeing is a sign of submisson, i think, or just "umm what do I do next..."  more
> social than biological.  She simply had to pee socially but had no real need
> to empty her bladder.)  The younger sheep love to get in on the tension.
> Makes all of them excited.

For more information on sheep behavior and social order, you may find the
articles by Dr. Cathy Dwyer in a series in Applied Animal Behavior of interest.
A recent article in Science News (Nov1,2003) "Beast Buddies: Do animals have
friends" cited giraffe ( behavior patterns in grazing and social order.
Geist's articles on ram behavior and social castes throws an interesting light on
free range bahavior and who is dominant and wants to be dominant, aggression and
submission.

The giraffe article reminded me of the "tail length" question and someone
wanting to measure tail length.  Sheep tail length is rather highly heritable
(offspring are roughly the average of the parent).  But the anatomical measure is
not as straight forward.   The number of vertebrae, the length of the
vertebrae (giraffe and humans have the same number of neck vertebrae), the "flesh" at
the bottom of the tail after the last caudal vertebrae, etc.  Then there is
tail by type: Mason describes about 10 tail types related to different breeds
by area of origin.  His work provides rather strong evidence that the Jacob
does not come from the eastrern Mediterraenea but its closest ancestor may be
found on the north coast of Africa ... just south of Spain.

The pee posture .. actual peeing or trying ... is a "fear" behavior. It is
not unlike the "human pee in my pants" behavior.

Fred Horak