[Jacob-list] parasite loads

Gillian Fuqua gillian_fuqua at pobox.com
Tue Aug 12 08:23:41 EDT 2003

    My experiences with worms are more equine than ovine but here goes
anyway.  It is my experience that some animals do just carry a higher worm
load than others.  My older thoroughbred is pastured with 2 other horses and
he is always needing wormed, even through the winter.  The other two,
including one elderly pony are only done 2X per year.  Go figure.
    I have only 4 Jacobs and have been doing it for only 15 months but here
is what I have noticed with them.  I have one ewe who tends to diarrhea when
it is wet, right now you could wring VT like a sponge.  Fortunately she
seems to really like Pepto bismol. the other girls are still passing lovely
raisinettes.  This ewe is also the one who got slammed with worms in June,
bloody poops.  But her spirit continues unabated.  My vet's theory with her,
and the horse, is that some animals are just better breeding grounds for
worms.  Also, wormers do not necessarily get the eggs so the big guy and the
little girl have times of multiple doses of Safeguard.  I also do Pepto 2X
after a big worming and that seems to help.  My solution is just to be aware
that this is a girl prone to worms and I monitor her backside.  I've given
up trying to figure out why the others are fine.

Gillian