[Jacob-list] HOrns

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Aug 6 16:56:12 EDT 2003

I once asked my vet about dehorning an adult Nubian goat.  His advice was that even
though it was possible and he could do it, he would not recommend it EVEN if done by
a veterinarian.  First off, it's quite painful for the animal and second, the
recovery care is quite time consuming.  Even if you're going to put him on a truck
for butchering and wouldn't have to deal with it, it seems that it would be
unnecessarily cruel.  We do butcher ours (sometimes at home) and we sure do eat alot
of those cute bouncy lambs, but try to do it with as little stress as possible.

Linda