[Jacob-list] polio in sheep

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Tue Apr 29 23:10:43 EDT 2003

I saw this posting on the archives:
Polio in sheep,calves, and especially goats is a vitamin B deficiency, =
often brought on by dehydration. I don't know how helpful this is. I =
have never seen it in our sheep, even after doing without water for a =
week in the winter. The water line runs on top of the ground to the =
water trough. I have seen sheep walk up to the warm water that I had =
carried by hand out to them after a week when it did not get above 32, =
say "hmmm look at that!", turn around and walk off. Neal Grose in the dry
balmy south
Neal -- Are you still on the list?  Where did you get this information
that sheep polio is caused by dehydration?  I'm researching it.  I have
heard of a book listing a couple of other things causing it as well.  Any
information would be appreciated.
Another question, does anyone have information on trailering sheep and
what can happen with that?
THanks,
Kelley