[Jacob-list] DE

Dave & Katrina oberlef at supernet.com
Tue Apr 29 13:28:43 EDT 2003

Thanks, Karen.  Again, these are words of encouragement to me.

We have seen so many flocks that were thriving under low-care involvement
that
 is has made me wonder why I am so hesitant. We come from a mainstream
commercial breed background but with a strong emphasis on the benefits of
the natural ways. I don't think most sheep breeds could thrive under this
type of care...but I am increasingly convinced a Jacob could/should under a
responsible shepherd's care. That is to say, truely understanding the
natural systems that these animals thrive under and trying to duplicate
them.  Sometimes it is more work than the traditional methods,but I do
believe the animals (and maybe the breed) are healthier in the long run.

Karen, I agree that pasture rotation is the best approach to cutting back
on worms...preferably with chickens following after.  I trust this quite a
bit more than DE powder.  There is also some research that talks about the
pasture..specifially the weeds/herbs in the pasture.. that the mothers are
on helping with the worm immunity of lambs.  When I think about it, we have
relied on this for our lambs and have very few worm problems with them.  We
only worm them if we see a problem. We rarily worm lambs except a teenager
once in a while. we do still worm adults and I am not ready to go stictly
with herbal wormers or something...I would rather they eat the fresh thing
in the pasture. No sense not using commercial wormers if needed.
Thanks for all the info on this topic and also thanks to all you who are
bearing with the conversation.  I know it is not something everyone is
interested in.
Hope everyone is enjoying spring!
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane