[Jacob-list] Anaphylaxis after Tetanus innoculation

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Sat Apr 26 21:57:55 EDT 2003

Hi, Folks --

I had a ram lamb this spring that reacted badly to a Tetanus
anti-toxin shot given at tail docking. All the symptoms of
anaphylaxis (lung sounds in breathing, foam at the mouth, weakness
and trembling...) and I thought he was a goner. Fortunately, being
bee keepers, we have epinephrin in the refrigerator all the time,
and a 1/10th cc dose (I _can_ do math under stress!) brought him
back. (This was kind of cute: by the time I came back from the
kitchen with the loaded hypo, Richard was up by the hay barn with
the lamb: giving him oxygen out of the welder!)

Now I am wondering, can this lamb safely receive a CD&T innoculation?
It's the "T" part I 'm concerned about. Anybody have an insight on
this (of course I could call my vet, but we're doing flock health
this weekend, and it's not office hours at the clinic, and of course
I didn't think of it until this afternoon).

If there seems to be doubt on this, I'll skip him for now and think
of something next week.

Thank you, oh wise ones!

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.