[Jacob-list] Re: ticks

Heather Hettick hettick1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 05:48:12 EDT 2003

My sheep have ticks this year too.  We switched from
Ivomec this year and used Valbazen in the fall
instead.  Last year I found 3 or three stray keds in
the fleeces but I have 5 chickens who spend a lot of
time around the sheep and was hoping they'd take care
of that problem but I had noticed some itching this
winter and found a few sheep, one family in particular
and the ram, pretty infested at shearing time.  Our
llama seemed itchy too but he hasn't been clipped yet
and doesn't seem too bad any more.  We have some nasty
pour on stuff we'd used after having lice on some
Angora goats we had for a short time that I was
thinking of using on them but was afraid to apply it
while they are still nursing.  The lice never bothered
the sheep too much but the llama had them.  It sounds
like ivomec works best and I'm comfortable with it
being pretty safe.  Does anyone have another
suggestion since we were trying to rest from ivomec
this year?

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
Creston, OH