[Jacob-list] To creep feed or not to creep feed???

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Thu Apr 17 18:51:21 EDT 2003

Hey Melanie,
You're not in trouble, the animal industry warrants healthy skepticism.

The decision to creep feed or not should be based on the quality of your
forage and how much rate of gain you want. If the lambs and ewes are all on
good quality pasture that can be maintained in a vegetative state of growth,
then you probably don't need to worry about it. If pasture quality falls off
or you are feeding stored forage of medium quality, then as the lambs stop
nursing there will not be adequate energy in the diet to maintain a
consistent growth rate in the lambs. Quickly growing lambs require energy
levels in the diet similar to what is required by a dairy cow. I think we
forget this when we are talking about pasture raised stock. It takes a lot
of management to keep pasture at optimum; and lambs and beef are not going
to be as tender as "grain-fed" unless they grow quickly. On the other hand,
if it is not important to have the lambs meet target weights or tenderness
ratings, then there is little point in worrying about it.

The primary purpose of ionophores is to increase feeding efficiency while
animals are being fed starch (grains). This is true regardless of the
presence of infective parasites. They have little or no effect while animals
are fed only forages. They are not in the same class as subtherapeutic
levels of antibiotics such as feed grade tetracycline. (Which I think is a
baaaad idea.)

Ionophores' use as a coccidiostat is a secondary benefit. Coccidiodosis is
bad. It is generally only seen in lambs, as the adults become resistant.
Infection is dependent on exposure to fecal matter from adults. All sheep
will have some coccidii, but extent of coccidiosis is going to depend on the
amount of exposure and immaturity of the immune system. Feeding organic
grains in a barn will not prevent this. Having a "resistant breed" will not
prevent them having their resistance from overwhelmed by exposure. This will
be a judgment call. If circumstances are such that exposure to coccidii is
likely in young animals, then I would rather use lasalocid than some of the
harsher and more expensive coccidiostats post infection.

Neal Grose
North Carolina