[Jacob-list] ticks

kbarrett at oregontrail.net kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Thu Apr 17 15:41:39 EDT 2003

We got keds from a sheep who came down from the neighbors to live at my place.  The keds can live away from the host sheep for 4-7 days so they could theoretically reinfest your flock from the few that are crawling around in the hay or bedding.  Chickens love them, so they can do a good job of cleaning up any stragglers.  You can also dust your sheep with some sort of insecticide you get from the vet, but I never tried that.  Good clean pasture and the ivomec have taken care of the problem. I have also heard that they can infest some goats, so that could be another source of host animal.  Good luck.