[Jacob-list] out of?

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Sun Apr 13 21:43:25 EDT 2003

I think it is just an inadvertent  mis-use of the terms.  I know many people
who say "out of" for either parent, but when you look at it logically, the
lamb did not come "out of" the ram, but was "sired by" him.  I have heard
people do the same with horses, cows, and goats, as well.  One of those
technical tidbits of  grammar.  :-)   I don't think the rules were changed,
because I hear an equal amount of people using them as you do.   But then
maybe we are both way behind??? lol
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR

Linda wrote:  I'm kinda curious about the terms "out of" and "by".  I raised
AQHA registered
Quarter Horses for a number of years and the term "out of" always referred
to the
dam, as in, well, out of - pretty self explanatory.  The term "by" referred
to the
sire as in "sired by."

I see a lot of sheep listed as "out of" the sire.  Is this a sheep thing?
Or am I
totally behind the times (quite possible!)