[Jacob-list] Re: Lambing at two years

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 06:49:27 EDT 2003

Hi Mary Ellen,
                     In the UK, most breeders of Icelandics lamb them at a
year. I don't breed mine until over the year - although they are a primitive,
the animal keeps on growing until around 4 years it seems. They are rare
here, but still I don't. Stubborn or what?

It must be hard to tell if most growth in Jacobs is done by a year unless
people keep non-breeders to compare them with? Certainly in the UK where the
Jacob is mostly not a primitive any more although retaining the easy-lambing,
good fleeces etc of it's forebears (foresheep?), much growth carries on in
the second year and is very noticeable in rams, so yes we have our first
lambs as the ewe matures. Just because an animal is capable of producing, we
find it better all round to leave them a year (and we get a better shearling
fleece too). Almost all registered Jacobs in the UK come from sheep bred at
over the year.

I have twin ewe two year olds - one has just had her first set of lambs at
two, the other had a single ewe lamb last year as an accident. Cherry and
Camilla were very similar at weaning, but there is now a noticeable
difference in size - 25lb in weight when weighed for worming last year
(condition scores about the same), and the ewe lamb which we still have is
far short of the size of our normal yearlings although mum was in good
condition at her birth. Not exactly scientific, but interesting.

There has been quite a bit of talk of problem weak lambs born to yearlings
lately. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Trisha, Wales