[Jacob-list] Tipping horns on lambs

Robert May newjerseyjacobs at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 22:52:30 EDT 2003

I've enjoyed reading your many postings during this
year's long winter.  Haven't seen any discussion about
"tipping" the horns of our Jacob lambs.  Some breeders
tell me that taking the tips off the
horns--particularly on 4-horn lambs will avoid the
potential for broken horns as the lambs mature.

We've been raising Jacobs since 1995 and various
breeds of sheep since 1982.  Most recently started
breeding CVM Romeldales.  We've never "tipped" any of
the horns on our Jacobs and was wonder what some of
you might have to say about this practice.

Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
Bob May
Swayze Inn Farm