[Jacob-list] Re: bottle lambs (was dead ewe)

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:57:13 EDT 2003

Sorry to hear about your ewe.  I'm sure the little ones are wondering
where their mom is.  The general information that the other sheep breeders
gave you is probably correct.  I got the information for my bottle lamb
out of the book and it worked fine.  I used to feed Jeremy (my bottle
baby) out of a baby bottle, found that that worked best for both of us.
If I remember right (check the book if this doesn't sound right) he was
probably getting a little less than half the standard sized bottle at ~47
days every 3-4 hours or so.  These little ones have probably been eating
more often than that from mom, so they might be hungrier for the first few
days, or you can move them up to 4 hour intervals slowly.  Lambs can be
weaned at 3 months, they'll be fine physically at that point to eat on
their own.  I used to feed Jeremy pretty much what he wanted from the
bottle as I figured he would know best what he needed to drink.  Some days
he would drink a lot, others it would be less.  My friend who has 3 kids
(not goa
ts, kids) says that their eating habits change when they go through growth
spurts.  It's probably the same with baby sheep.

Best of luck to you.
Kelley