[Jacob-list] Our first butcher lamb

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 13:06:43 EDT 2003

Hi,

I was simply amazed at a Jacob yearling at 100# live weight---never seen
ones like that except when I was transporting Maverick/Rockies sheep
back from CO.  Those sheep were all WELL fed!

Mine run in the 50-70 pound range.  Heavier milking mothers produced
faster growing and heavier lambs, but otherwise...  None of them are
ever in the 100# range.  When they get to be 3 years old and are filled
in and out fully, I have rams that top 100#, but the ewes rarely come in
over that weight and are usually under.

Mary Ellen Hansson
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Jacob Sheep, Fiber, Spinning equipment,
Books, Patterns, Knitting/Crochet/Tatting