[Jacob-list] Re: New jacob owner

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Sun Apr 6 13:00:18 EDT 2003

Well, I should just shut up, but I guess I have had too much coffee this
morning and just can't help myself.
I agree with almost all of what Mary Ellen has to say.  But, I have to take
exception to one point.  When registration is a beauty contest(as JSBA and
JSC has it) the paperwork means nothing to me.  I have sheep that are as
good as any I have seen anywhere (don't we all?).  I have no interest in
registration.  I will help buyers with the paperwork if they desire, but
most people I talk to do not care about the type of registries that we
currently have.  Most of my sheep are sold fairly local and $200 for a good
ewe is about twice what I usually get.  In my area if I registered all of my
stock, my price would not be able to go up.
Do not get me wrong, knowing the lineage is important, helping the two
associations compete with each other does not interest me in the least.  Not
registered does not mean unknown.  You can keep pedigree information without
the certificate.
OK, now I will have another cup of coffee and try to get off my soapbox.
Mark Essen
Famous Acres
6701 County Road 353
Fulton, Mo.  65251
(573)642-0350
messen at socket.net
Jacobs 4-Horn Sheep, Pygmy Goats, Pyrenees, Peafowl, Highland Cattle, Yak,
Emu, Wallabies, Patagonian Cavies, Eland, and Fallow Deer all living
together in the Kingdom of Callaway