[Jacob-list] Our first butcher lamb

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Sun Apr 6 10:20:01 EDT 2003

I sent two rams to the butcher in January.  They were 10 mo. old.  I don't
know what the live weight was, but I got back 34 lbs from one and 45 from
the other.   Last year, a ram and two ewes of about the same age, sent the
same time of year, came back 45, 33 and 32.  My sheep get free choice
orchard grass hay in the winter, and just enough grain to keep them running
to me when I call them--about 1/4 lb each twice a day.    But all of these
were nicely fat and, probably the key, from the larger ewes of my flock. I
am always surprised at how little meat comes back from those big wooly
critters. The butcher has a minimum charge for cut and wrap, so with the
kill fees it costs about $70 per lamb.  Not the cheapest meat.  But it is
very tasty, and I know what the animals have been fed and what their health
was, so I will continue.  The higher per-pound cost makes it difficult to
make anything selling Jacob lambs for butcher lambs, though.  People want
more for their money.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR