[Jacob-list] new lambs and butting mom

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Apr 4 15:18:58 EST 2003

In a message dated 4/4/2003 12:35:29 PM Central Standard Time,
kellyandrich at earthlink.net writes:

> We had our first ever lambing here this morning. Twins born to our ewe lamb,
> Chicory Lane Tulip.

Primaparous ewes are often bewildered by their first lambs ... the first is
more often than not a single.  With twins, there may be a heightened
bewilderment.

> We carried the lambs (a ewe and ram)  with mom following to a jug that we
> built in our barn for some quiet time together and iodine for the babies'
> navels.
>
> I've been observing them for a couple of hours. I've seen both nurse but
> the
> mom has butted  the female lamb several times. Should I worry? Is she
> rejecting the one? I don't see any physical abnormalities in the lamb. Any
> thoughts from the more experienced shepherds?

The ewe-lamb bond is "sealed" upon successful nursing.  The rejection of one
may be "I'm getting milked down".  I recall (Dwyer et al.) that there is a
slight "sex preference" in the 24 hour neonate that favors the more frequent
nursing demand of the ram lamb.  It may be she is a little bewildered about
the "two".  The critical issue might be framed in terms of "Are both nursing
adequately?"  Rejection behaviors vary be type and intensity.  The behavior
of the primaparous ewe MAY be indicative of the future but the whole range of
ewe behaviors must be observed; grooming, nosing, positioning, step arounds,
butting, complete withdrawal, even threats to you if you pick up the lamb or
pick up the lamb (say a foot off the ghround level) and see if she follows it
... assuming she is not distracted by the "favored" ram.

There may be reasons for true rejection not visibly apparent to us.  However,
you can test the bond rather easily.

What will be interesting to observe is the lambs from the ewe lamb.  Lamb
behavior may be affected by ewe lamb's mother ... and some of this is
apparently familial. (Dwyeret al.).

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Rd.