[Jacob-list] hay questions

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 12:45:54 EST 2003

I don't feed my critters alfalfa or alfalfa/grass mix.

They eat mixed grass hay, fresh water, Blue Seal
Shepherd 16 sheep pellets, Blue Seal Hay extender
pellets (for horses, but safe for sheep - this does
contain some alfalfa, but in pellet form I don't have
to deal w/leaves in fleece -- also great for training
treats for our show animals, they are large "bite
size" pellets), and a bit of Blue Seal Sunshine (a
supplement).

I do spend a bit more on my feed. My pastures are
pretty much non-existent right now due to
over-grazing, drought and need to re-seed, fertilize
and manage them better.

Have had spectacular fleeces this year from the
Jacobs, Shetland wethers and Border Leicesters!

re split eyelid - it is genetic, but I believe it's
the combination of BOTH ewe and ram that causes it.
That ewe w/another ram might be fine.

Fred -- is this correct?!?! You're so good with
genetics!!

Joy

=====
Joy Thomas, Shepherd & Fiber Artist
Son-Rise Farm, Creedmoor NC
Home of The Fleece Flock
Border Leicester, Jacob & Shetland Sheep
French Angora Rabbits
Website:   www.shepherdofspots.com
E-Mail:    joy at shepherdofspots.com