[Jacob-list] hay questions

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Wed Apr 2 09:28:33 EST 2003

Just wondering how many of you feed alfalfa or alfalfa/grass mix hay to your sheep, and whether you feel it makes a difference in quality/quantity of fleece?    (as opposed to feeding grass hay).

Also--genetic question here--had a lamb born with split eyelid, just a notch, but definitely not "normal".  This is the first time this ewe has had a lamb with this defect.  Is this reason to move the ewe higher on the culling list?
Of course now that it has occurred I can't find the earlier posts discussing the topic.  Is this a trait that the ewe passes on and I have just been fortunate in not seeing it expressed in her previous lambs?  I am so bad with genetics!
Thanks for your help,.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR