[Jacob-list] Novice

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Sep 17 06:25:40 EDT 2002

In a message dated 9/17/02 2:24:49 AM Central Daylight Time, zdeb at eoni.com
writes:

<<  Saw my main RAM (a beautiful symmetrical 4 horned
 3-year old) breed on of my ewes (a 3-horned lilac) a few days ago and
 wondered when I should be looking for "little-ones".  >>

The ewe's cycle is about 16-17 days.  Sometimes the ewe will not be pregnant
with the first breeding depending on her condition ... and his.  Watch for
her next cycle and the breeding activity during the next few weeks.  Longer
nights (ewes) and cooler weather (rams) are honeymoon hormone signs.

Once actually bred, gestation lasts from about 144 to 150 days.  The lamb's
development and hormones tells the ewe "it's time for me to be born" but the
ewe must be "in shape" to develop the lamb.

The first 90 days the 'lamb' will only be about 15%-20% of its birth weight
... during the last 60 days you will want to watch the ewes to be sure they
do not lose weight and have proper nutrition and minerals (are you in a
selenium deficit area; i.e., less than .001 ppm).  During the last 60 days
the lamb grows the last 80-85%.  While the demands on the ewe by the lamb
during the last two months of pregnancy are very high, be careful not to
"fatten" the ewe.  A "fat" ewe is a ewe and lamb in peril from birthing
problems.

During the next few weeks you may want to pursue getting a 'reference' book.
There are a number of books available ... paperback types like "Raising Sheep
the Modern Way" or "Sheep Raisers Manual" ... and some that are more
expensive that are rather detailed such as Laura Lawson's Books.  These are
usually available from your "local" book store or community library.  If the
source of your flock is nearby, you may be able to get some guidance and help
from them.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
Lucas, TX