[Jacob-list] RabiesVaccines

RnS1260 at aol.com RnS1260 at aol.com
Mon Sep 16 18:58:09 EDT 2002

I was surprised to see that the question of Rabies was so controversial. I
have recently spoken with two different vets that have both come in contact
with Rabies. They were making routine calls to a farm like mine. I am not
located in the middle of town, but I am surrounded by houses. One vet that I
spoke with came in contact with a pet goat. The vet had to undergo Rabies
shots because of his contact. He was not bit, but did make contact with the
animals saliva. Just this past week, we had to have a vet out for our horse.
This vet shared that she had to be quarantined for exposure to Rabies. I
think the misnomer is that one must be bitten by the rabid animal. Saliva can
enter an open wound. When I started out by asking this question, I really was
uncertain about my feelings about Rabies shots. I guess the odds are that a
rabid animal would not enter my barn. I have to admit that after I spoke with
the second vet I am leaning towards, an ounce of prevention is worth a pond
of cure. But if other shepherds decide this is not for them, that's OK.
Thanks for helping me come to a conclusion.
Cheryl Bresin
Rise "N" Shine Farm