[Jacob-list] adventures in goat kid shearing

Kris Sudduth sudduth at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 12 21:02:55 EDT 2002

Hi Elania....hows the booboo finger doing today!  I have owned angoaras over
the years....and I sheared them most of the time with my 3in head elec
clippers.  They make a blade..(course now that I'm looking for it to show
you, I can find a pic!!)...that is for shearing the little hairy
beast!!....it has a reg type head..but the teeth on either end of the blades
have a flare outward to them....I could have sworn my PBS catalog had
them..but I'm staring right at it and dont see that particular blade...I'm
not crazy thou...they do make them....you can also use a 20 teeth goat head
and do the job too...but for some reason...the flare is suppose to be
easier??...I suppose...I've used them a couple of times ...and also my goat
head...and liked both the same...so I guess I'm not much help..but I thought
I would tell you anyway....also..one other thing....if you have access to a
stanchion...to put the goats in when shearing...that would be the best thing
to do.
I had dairy goats before the angoras/sheep..so had the stanchion...well when
I started learning how to shear..I knew my back would not hold out for the
lean over the critter while holding it on the floor...so I put them all in
the stanchion....I know do everybody that way...it takes me about 45-1hr of
shearing with my B&B shears...no back troubles....I get to sit while
shearing...the goat/sheep just stand there...no fuss..no muss...no
stress...they can even eat while you do it if you have a feed hanger on the
stanchion.....you can make these things fairly cheap...or ask your local ag
kids to do it for a project !!!  I can send a pic of this if you would like
to see one.
I'm sure #39 wont hold it against you...they tend to forget fairly quick!

                    ~~Kris~~
                 Burlington, Vt
         sudduth at adelphia.net
www.cloudnineacres.homestead.com