[Jacob-list] tails

Dennis Schultz dschultz at waypt.com
Thu Sep 12 10:45:31 EDT 2002

We lamb in the pasture and then catch the lambs and ewes to put in the barn asap after birthing. If we get twins, I put them in a milk carton and leash the ewe and drag the box under her nose until I get them in a stall. Singles, I usually carry in one hand while leading the ewe on a leash with the other. I take a bunch of pictures of the babies with their mother and tag before retrurning them to the pasture at 2 or 3 days. I have used the newborn lamb pictures over and over to check ID's. Couldn't get by without these pictures.

I dock at two or three days leaving enough tail to cover the vulva area. Same length for rams. Worms and Coccidia are problems here, so being able to spot problems early is very important. Also being able to tell when the runs have stopped is important. Here in the Northwest, it seems that ebveryone docks.

Dennis and Barbara Schultz
Green Water Farm
Port Townsend, WA
http://www.greenwaterfarm.com