[Jacob-list] fly strike -- maggots

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Mon Sep 9 13:48:46 EDT 2002

If there was some sort of wound, i.e. broken horn, etc, there could just
be maggots on the wound.  Regardless, the best, easiest and least toxic
way of getting rid of maggots anywhere is by flushing the area with
hydrogen peroxide, let it bubble, it will irritate the maggots and they'll
start coming out.  Just rinse with plain water, flushing out the maggots
wherever they are, watch that they don't get caught in the hair.  Repeat
the peroxide if you need to get them moving again, rinsing and flushing
with the water.  This is where those extra syringes (minus the needle, of
course) come in handy.  Most maggots will only eat the dead flesh.  But
regardless of that fact, it still feels awful having them on the wound and
might cause irritation or rubbing.  I also have my own theory that even
though they're only "eating" the dead flesh, I think they tend to make the
wound bigger over a long period of time.  That's my own theory -- I don't
think they help with healing.

Once you get this batch off, work hard to keep it clean and free from
oozing stuff.  I have used thyme or lemon essential oils diluted in
petroleum jelly (1:3 ratio -- tsp usually) so that it sticks good and put
that around the wound, not on it.  I've not tried lavender, but it might
be something that could be used (diluted) on the wound as it is also
antiseptic and supposed to help with healing.  Maybe a mix?

Anyway, hope this is helpful and timely enough.

Kelley
"one with WAY too much maggot experience"