[Jacob-list] crimpy fleece

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Oct 22 18:22:26 EDT 2002

I posted a picture awhile back of a staple from a ram lamb about the same age as yours.  It was to illustrate how the staple structure can change as a lamb matures.  This particular guy had a very straight birth fleece which slowly began to develop crimp.  His fleece turned out very nice with lots of bounce.  His fleece started out straight, got some wave and ended up with a rather soft crimp. He was not submitted for JSBA registration as we had alot of rams that year and he was invited to move indoors.  He was JSC certified for his parent's progeny test.  I saw no problem with his fleece being acceptable for registration with JSBA.
Lots of lambs seem to be born with a straightish birth fleece.  In a few months, the crimp starts to develop.

The picture is still up at:
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/lock.jpg

Linda

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:38:05 EDT, LBBDVM at aol.com wrote:
>Hi all,
>I was collecting a ram fleece sample for JSBA registration and was
>really surprised to find that close to the skin the fleece is really
>crimpy.  I wasn't expecting this as the "surface" wool does not
>appear crimped at all.  He is about 8 months old.  I'm afraid this
>might be a problem for registration.
>
>Is this likely to be a problem? Is the fleece likely to change
>significantly as he gets older?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>Lia Belanger Book
>Hickory Hill Farm