[Jacob-list] Another duplicate?

Anderson, Gary B. GBAnderson at UCDavis.Edu
Thu Oct 10 11:17:43 EDT 2002

I sent two messages to the Jacob List during the past several weeks, and
neither came back to me via the List.  The more recent message was in regard
to an alternative for dealing with the mismating or multiple-sire mating
discussed last week.  Yesterday morning I contacted Mark Williams, Jacob
List administrator, and he suggested that I resend a message to help him
troubleshoot the problem I am having (i.e., I can receive from but not send
to Jacob List).  I did not receive the resent message, and I'm sending it
again.  I apologize if this message went out last week, again yesterday, and
again this morning to everyone on the List, except back to me, and you're
receiving duplicate messages during the troubleshooting.  This is the
message I sent; the topic is old, but the solution is still a viable option.

An undesired multi-sire mating, or any other mismating, can be treated with
a single injection of prostaglandin F2alpha (PGF2a), available at low cost
from any large animal veterinarian.  The product is used extensively in
cattle (an horses, but the cattle product is cheaper) and can be prescribed
off-label for use in sheep.  Several products are available, which affect
only the amount that has to be given.  If given after about day 5 of the
cycle (estrus = day 0), PGF2a simulates the normal signal provided to the
ovary by the nonpregnant uterus on about day 13 of the cycle saying,
"Regress the corpus luteum, grow a new follicle, and come back into estrus."
Ewes will return to estrus about 2 days after injection with PGF2a.  At day
5, the embryo has about 100 cells, has not yet attached to the uterus, and
the ewe returns to fertile estrus uneventfully.  Only about a week is lost
in the breeding season, which might be preferred to a lamb with unknown
parentage or the expense of DNA typing.  Not that I've ever had a mismating,
mind you.