[Jacob-list] A Jacob "lilac" source/question

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Oct 9 11:29:01 EDT 2002

In a message dated 10/8/02 10:55:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
nlgrose at yadtel.net writes:

> Now, when you figure out the genetics of lilac, let the rest of us know.
> Lilac color varies, with descriptions ranging from 'chocolate' to
> 'pewter/tan'. Within the 'purebred' population of Jacobs, lilac acts like a
> simple recessive to the black.

A breed is a group that breeds true ... follows some rules that produces an
expected outcome; albeit the rules can be complex.  The basic color genotype
of the Jacob (dominant lack/recessive piebald) has been described by the
Scots since 1900.  The Jacob Sheeo Society (England) does not "register"
lilacs ... apparently for want of matching the genotype.  But with the
obscurity of the origins of the Jacob and its descriptions in the mid 1800s,
what might be sources for "horned lilacs" (Jacobs) in North America?

Trivial pursuit:  In "Essays relating to Agriculture and Rural Affairs",
1777, Dr. J. Anderson (Vol.2, p 165)  describes sheep on the Isle of Man: "In
the Isle of Man there is said to be another breed that carries wool of light
buff" ... is this the same as the loagthan" color?  About ten years later,
(1794) describes 'yellow' colored sheep? "In all the remote parts of Scotland
and the Isles, where sheep have in great measure been neglected and allowed
to breed promiscuouisly, without any selection, there is to be found a
prodigious diversity of colour; and among others, dun sheep, or those of a
brownish colour tending to be an obscure yellow, are not infrequent ... It is
for this reason, and to save the trouble of dyeing, that the poor people of
the Highlands propogate black, russet, and brown and other coloured sheep,
more than in any country where the wool is regularly brought to market.  In
the Isle of Man a breed of dun sheep is very common till this hour."

More trivial pursuit: In 1810 Dr. A. Edmonston published a description of the
"Zetland" sheep; varied colors ... two and four horned ...  but a short tail.
 This is the Shetland.

Now a serious question for any Scot shepherds (or old geographers) on the
List:  In translating a 1600 Latin phrase: "Regionum et Insularum Scotiae
descriptio ... Tuedalia tamen optimum lanam ... "  -  "In my description of
the areas of Scotaland and its islands ....  and Tuedalia and its excellent
fiber ... "   Where is Tuedalia today and what was it called in the 1600s and
1700s?  The interest is the presence of "oues paruae quidem sunt, et plereque
ut arietes cornua ferunt: sed oues, bina, terna,quaternae et arietes
nonunquam sena"  in "Tuedalia".  This exciting information is from Bishop
Lealey's essay (1578) ... but these horned ewes are not Jacobs ... since it
goes on to say "caudas brevissimas" ... "short tails".  But this may also be
the Shetland and is there a connection between Tuedalia sheep and Shetland
sheep? ... i.e., breeds identified by geography.  Where was Tuedalia?  Is the
'lilac' Jacob related to the Shetland?

I suspect few relate to this ... but then I "relate" to Dr. Minor (Murray and
Minor and the OED) ...  my asylum happens to be a Jacob farm in Texas rather
than London.

Fred Horak