[Jacob-list] split eye-lids

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Wed Oct 9 06:13:19 EDT 2002

Barb,

Split eyelids sometimes reproduce in kind in offspring right away.  I
don't personally like them and use that as one of the criteria in
culling from the breeding gene pool.  A ram with a split would be
eliminated immediately.  One aside.....I have seen a ram used
extensively that had grade 2 splits in both eyes and rarely passed that
on to his offspring of their offspring/offsprings offspring etc.  I have
also seen 80% of all offspring of unnotched partners show up with splits
and 100% of notched partners produce offspring with splits from another
ram that quite obviously threw the problem.  This all goes back in some
way to the split in the bones of the head.  If you feel above the eye
sockets of your animals, you will either feel a smooth oval like you
would expect or you will feel a triangle.  It is rare for me to feel an
oval in the 4 horned population irregardless of the visible grade of
eyelid.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209