[Jacob-list] horn products

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Sat Nov 23 19:02:27 EST 2002

It seems that horns of a substantial size that are removed close to the base would cause quite a bit of blood loss.  I do not believe that a ram with sheared horns would ever regenerate them to their original length and diameter.  There is also the likelihood of fly strike and infection.  Since the horns act as radiators in hot weather, I think they are best left on the animal, and harvested only when there has been an accident or the animal goes into the freezer.
Craft's Carson, one of our flock sires, broke about 10 inches off his top horn this summer.  I gave it to someone to make a walking stick handle.

Mary Spahr