[Jacob-list] horn products

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Mon Nov 18 19:44:38 EST 2002

I know I have asked about horns before. I saved all the answers too. But in the meantime my computer died and I have a new one. Besides, I have another question now.

I just butchered the last of this year's lambs. I cut off the horns (2 2-H rams). I boiled them over a propane burner and now I have the 11-12" horn shell and the bone from inside. I want to make whatever products are possible. Buttons must be made from the bone part. After separating the bone and the horn, there is a lost of gelatanous stuff on the outside. Do I scrape off as much of that as I can? Can you cook it too much? The pointed end of the horns is soft.

And about the horn itself--how do you deal with those? Any ideas are welcome.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA