[Jacob-list] worming techniques

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 17 16:56:10 EST 2002

Hello All The Cydectin is what my vet gave to me to worm our sheep last year. But he didn't say anything about giving orally, so we applied it like the directions said, "pour on", between their shoulder blades, directly on the skin by seperating the wool. The doseage on the side of the box says, 1ml per 22lb body weight. Abigail Brown Shiloh FarmPetersburg, IN~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Mary Hansson <mhansson1 at triad.rr.com> wrote:From: "Mary Hansson"
Subject: RE: [Jacob-list] worming techniques
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:11:55 -0500

Linda and all,

Talked to my vet tonight who recommended the Cydectin pour on for cattle
be taken by mouth at 2 cc per 25 pound rate. His partner had attended a
sheep/goat conference in DC a few months back where this was promoted as
an excellent alternative to the Ivomec.

I have a friend who I think is also on this list who didn't feel it
would be something she would recommend doing at all. He concurred that
the odor was horrendous (kerosene-like), but stated that the sheep and
goats he has seen it used on haven't seemed to mind it.... He has not
heard of any reports so far of increased birth defects (the warning on
the label information from Jeffers recommends against using in cattle
that may become pregnant).

This product does have one advantage over some of the others---no
withdrawal times. Does make me wonder though.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep: Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop: Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209