[Jacob-list] worming techniques

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Thu Nov 14 19:08:49 EST 2002

I went to a lambing clinic here in NE Georgia (8 years ago, or thereabouts).  It was given by the state extension agent who had a large Suffolk flock.  At that time, he said that because of the carrier, ivomec  injectable could be given orally.  Some other injectables - Tramisole is one I remember - are in a carrier that does not allow assimilation when given orally.  I also know a number of people that worm sheep using Zimecterin (a paste wormer for horses).
I have used ivomec injectable orally with good results.  It's abit difficult to measure the small dosages needed for lambs and if the sheep dribbles out any at all, it's a rather large percentage of the dose.  It's my very humble opinion that injecting the injectable is the best way to go, but I confess to not always going that route. In THIS area - the recommended dosage for sheep on a per pound basis is twice that for cattle.  That recommendation comes from local vets - it may be different in different areas.
I'm a big believer in having an occasional fecal exam done - whether you do it yourself or have a vet do it.

Linda