[Jacob-list] SHEEP

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Wed May 15 15:55:52 EDT 2002

I fully understand the frustration of having sheep that should be called Houdinis instead of Jacobs.  However, since I am not built for speed and would much rather let the sheep do the running, I have my sheep conditioned to come when I call. I can't take credit for doing it on purpose, though--it was that good old motivator, food.   Once they figured out that "hey girls!" means food,  and that "hey girls" when it isn't regular feeding time means ritz crackers, I could stop chasing.  One or two repetitions of the magic words and a couple claps of the hands brings them right to me at a run, no matter where they are--even when they have found one of those "leaks" in the fencing and gone wandering.  Believe me--the cost of a few boxes of crackers is more than repaid by not having to chase sheep all over when they escape, or when you want them in the barn,  or are moving them from one pasture to another.  .
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR