[Jacob-list] High fence

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Wed May 15 12:59:39 EDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Gary Tomas Fay wrote:

> ... he put in huge 8 ft tall poles with about 20
> electric wires ... sounds like something Thom could use ...

When we first got our ewes, they were so wild and so given to
leaping over things, we worried about vertical clearance. On
catching day, I remember seeing Richard's mouth drop open when
one of them jumped clean over me while I was standing in front
of her. It happened so fast, I didn't even duck.

We built 5-and-a-half foot fence around a paddock for them.
That was the tallest woven wire we could find in a hurry, and
we were hoping we wouldn't have to add to the top of that, as
we have to keep the deer out of our orchard. The 5.5 has proven
to be more than OK. They have never challenged it, and probably
would have done fine with 4'.

Leaks are another thing, though... It's amazing how small a space
next to a gate will permit a determined sheep to pass. Or even one
who just happens to figure out the combination. They do learn fast,
and they never forget!

Susan
--
Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      		|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.