[Jacob-list] SHEEP

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Wed May 15 11:38:13 EDT 2002

I think every shepherd has those kinds of days.  I know we have had many around here and somehow still have retained Jacob sheep.  Downsizing is always a foremost thought, and yes, even thoughts of selling out completely are entertained from time to time.  Our ewes are fence hoppers also, but considering the shape our fences are in, it is not much of a feat for them to jump over.
As we were heading down the road the other day, we noticed several ewes and lambs had hopped over into our neighbor's field.  Jim got out and stood in the middle of the road yelling and clapping his hands.  They either did not hear or see him, or chose to ignore him.  Usually they will go back in when they have been discovered misbehaving.  We decided to go on to town (don't get off the farm much) and let them go back in on their own.  If the field had been planted, it would have been a different story.  The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence with these sheep.  I think it is part of their curiosity.
Mary Spahr