[Jacob-list] Oh THAT Holy Grail...

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Mon May 13 17:42:34 EDT 2002

This is really for George and Debbie Benedict, but you are all getting to hear this anyway.

I am just back from a meeting of the Scottish Committee of the Jacob Sheep Society. Once again I mentioned that I am looking for primitive jacobs. There were a few suggestions - one was seen in a farm park somewhere near Fort William etc., then Barbara Webster (jacob judge and rare breed enthusiast) said there is always the Abercairney flock - wee hairy things with spotty legs. At this point I could feel an eyebrow starting to rise. Yes, she said I have some photos of that flock going back to 1906. They haven't changed at all. Of course they could be a bit inbred, there have been no introductions. Did you know that they were the first jacob flock in Scotland? Well at this point I could only manage a strangled whimper. So Barbara (based in Perth) is going to drop by and mention that I am interested purchasing one or two of their flock. Abercairney is near Creiff, not very far from Perth and Scone Palace. Well well well...

Gordon Johnston.