[Jacob-list] new list member and prospective new owner

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 09:32:29 EDT 2002

> Thom wrote:
> There.  I hope these pointers will help some of you new shepherds to
> avoid
> the errors I made.  BTW, I have learned that after mucking the barn out
> this
> spring, the heat from composting straw is actually hot enough to
> hard-boil
> the eggs left there by the chickens.  Think there’s an organic market
> for
> this?

Don't the Koreans brine and then bury eggs? Forgot what they're called,
but supposed to be a delicacy. Chickens are great aren't they? we didn't
have a lot of good pasture when we started out here in the woods. The
chickens eat the grass seed, run around for awhile, deposit the
undigested seed with fertilizer and eat bugs and worms, so I don't have
to worm the sheep as often, either, and I get healthy, free-range
chicken eggs.

And keeping that lighter note...who needs escape proof fencing anyway? I
have been delighted lately with a little ram lamb who escapes every
morning when he sees me head for the barn. He stands outside his pasture
and tells me just how hungry he is and then follows me back in through
the gate when I have the alfalfa in my hands.
He's going to grow up to be a real character - like my goat buck who
occasionally eats the grass on the other side of the fence and then
can't figure out how to get back in where he belongs. I open the gate,
clap my hands and point to it; he looks relieved and goes back in the
pasture.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm