[Jacob-list] Is this for real?

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Wed May 1 21:55:14 EDT 2002

We use this type of tags on our cows. I would recommend putting the most important information inside the ear where it won't fade as much. Make sure the information is written down somewhere.
 Lambs can be bad to chew on the tags as well. "Look! There is something in momy's ear!"
Neal
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Linda
  To: williams at jacobsheep.com ; R Unzicker ; Jacob-list at jacobsheep.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 6:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] Is this for real?

  Are there any Jacob flocks with full certification?

  And speaking of scrapie - which way do the tags go?  I agonized and finally decided that white button tags would not be too terribly ugly.  Nothing like a primitive sheep with a bright red dot in its ear!  I started by tagging a Rockies ewe - her flock tag has the female side (the side that looks like a hat)  on the outside of the ear.  Next went to St. Jude's Janice - her flock tag has the female part inside the ear.  Then I went back to look at Sophia's and the scrapie tag looks like a little white hat stuck on her ear - ugly!  Okay, I realize this is not supposed to an aesthetic improvement, but I would like to minimize the distraction.  Is there any reason for putting the male/female side of the tag on one side or the other?  The female side has the "hat" part so is thicker, but it doesn't seem to bother Janice.  The male part has more information on it, but all the pertinent information is on both sides.

  Appreciate any opinions -

  Linda

  On Wed, 1 May 2002 14:21:57 -0700, Cathie and Mark Williams wrote:
  >Was it from Nisim Bahar?  If so, yes, this is  true as far as we can
  >tell.  We've been corresponding with him for over a  year now. He
  >wants a large quantity of sheep (50 ewe lambs and a handful of
  >rams) but is constrained by his national vets who want (among other
  >things) full  scrapie certification and animals that have been under
  >the continuous care of a  veterinarian for 5 years.
  >
  >I sense that money is not a concern for Nisim (just  the sort of
  >customer we'd all love to have) but I think it's a long-shot that
  >he'll ever pull this off. I also don't think he's got a grasp of US
  >geography. Interesting that he's contacting others now.
  >
  >- Mark Williams

  Visit our first lambs of 2002!
  http://www.patchworkfibers.com/lambs2002.html
  Registered Jacob Sheep