[Jacob-list] Scrapie program

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 27 17:00:41 EST 2002

The government hard at work.  Part of the program is to identify just
how prevelent scrapie is in this country.  We don't have any figures for
that.  Also, most other industrialized countries have scrapie
eradication programs (similar to the program we have for horses in the
US--we have to get a yearly coggins test --forgot the name of the
disease--any animal with it has to be destroyed or quarantined for
life).  Some countries used the brouhaha over the hoof and mouth
outbreak to tell the US that they will not import sheep or sheep
products from us because we do not have a scrapie eradication program.
Having a scrapie eradication program will allow us to continue to export
sheep and sheep products to the European Union.

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm