[Jacob-list] False labor???

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 11:53:02 EST 2002

Sue, I just went thru the same thing with one of my ewes, although her labor
was more insistant.  All she showed was a pink bulge, so after awhile I
checked her up close, and found that the bulge was the butt end of a breech
baby that was pushing up instead of down and out.  The lamb was tiny, so I
was able to work one rear leg and then the other out and pull downward with
her contractions.  She was a first timer,  and with all the unfruitful
contractions,  she managed to prolapse her uterus right after the lamb !  I
carefully put it back, but she pushed it right back out, so I called in the
vet.  She replaced and stitched her closed, and I've been giving her pain med
and penicillin injections for what seems like forever !  She and the lamb are
fine tho, but the lamb (a ram of course ! ) is still very tiny at 8 days of
age.  He may have been slightly early, he didn't look 'finished' when he was
born-all skin and bones.  So today I try to get those stitches out.... Robin
Casasanto