[Jacob-list] Primitive

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 13 07:49:51 EST 2002

I have the same feelings as Betty about our "primitive" Jacob sheep
compare to the other breeds.
For the last 18 years when the lambing season is over, I always make the
statement "if we have to cut back to a few sheep they will be Jacob.  No
lambing problems, no sleepless nights, no orphaned babies.
We have a small flock we call our "hand spinning flock".  they are
Border Leicester, Corriedale and some crosses.  Thank goodness we only
have 15.  They are slower and definitely need more watching and concern
if the weather is bad.  They just take their time lambing and the babies
are just blah for an hour.  Our Angora Goats are even worse.  Although
now we have selected for some many years that they all are relatively
hardy mothers.
BUT GIVE ME A JACOB ANY DAY.
I just hope we inadvertently do not breed out the "primitive
characteristics" if that is possible.
Edie, Joy Farm