[Jacob-list] re:scrapie

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Tue Mar 12 19:13:59 EST 2002

Thanks for this site, Linda.  I am just starting to work on this in our
flock and find the info useful.  I did finally call and ask for the
volunteer program packet, and I guess we will probably go in that direction,
although I have to agree, I am not sure I trust the basic usefulness of a
state program unless it is for a other reason than just the health of our
flock.

 I think in most situations, although not all, sheep owners know much more
about their flock health than Vets. (I have to say, the Vet we use now is an
exception to the rule, although as a single mom with three kids, she is very
busy!)  I feel much the same about OPP.  While we test and have been
negative, I have not seen much evidence that OPP severely threatens the
health of Jacob sheep.  However, testing is not too difficult or expensive,
so we are game.  I guess we fall into the category of 'practical, above
all', at least philosophically.   I believe in boosting the basic health of
animals so they can fend off disease first and foremost.  Some studies have
even shown high immunity to suppress OPP positives.  And yet, here I go,
jumping head first in the Scapies voluntary program.  Probably for the best
though, and maybe it is good if only to help other breeders in their goals.
Heather, nice to hear you say it has not been too much work for you since
you started it.  That is encouraging. (and congrats on your new baby!)
Thanks for all the info on the program.
Katrina