[Jacob-list] Copycat.

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Tue Mar 12 18:53:31 EST 2002

Did any of you hear about 'Copycat', the pet kitten that was cloned?  I thought the article was interesting because they said that Copycat is not the same color as her donor parent!  The article said that color and markings are not only genetically governed, but also are controlled by what happens in the womb.  My husband says the same goes for Holestein cattle markings.  I remember reading of old time Jacob breeders writing things like this (in Ingrid's book)  but wondered at the time how much of that is true.  Think the whole topic is interesting since obviously genes do make a difference too.  Our rams look very different and you definitely can see it in their lambs.  On the other hand, we had a lot of opposite % color twins and I can't help but wonder if this was environment rather than genetics.
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane.
http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/sale.htm