[Jacob-list] scrapie in Canada

Chovhani melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 12 11:22:24 EST 2002

Reading all this made me check what Canada is doing. I found this FYI.

"In 1945, Canada made scrapie a reportable disease. The current control
and eradication program for scrapie is based on the detection of
clinical cases of scrapie, laboratory confirmation and destruction of
affected sheep or goats, other 'at risk' animals (which may include the
whole flock), and either incineration or burial of the carcasses. Other
regulatory approaches such as active surveillance and flock
certification are currently under development.

To prevent infected animals from entering the commercial food supply,
sheep infected with scrapie, elk and deer infected with CWD, and other
'at risk' animals (which may include the whole herd), cannot be sent to
abattoirs or rendering plants. The animals are humanely destroyed and
are either buried or incinerated. Products from infected animals such as
antler velvet are also either incinerated or buried.

Animal products, including food and animal feeds, are freely traded
between the United States and Canada. Thus, many of the risk factors are
similar for both countries. Accordingly, Canada is working closely with
the United States (and Mexico) to harmonize TSE policies.

There is a constant evolution in scientific and trade information on
TSEs, particularly BSE. The CFIA is constantly reviewing and refining
its policies and diagnostic methods. Significant scientific research is
under way in Canada, but more research will be required to identify the
most efficient and effective approaches to the management of risks
associated with BSE, scrapie, and CWD.

TSEs (Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies) are a group of diseases
that affect the central nervous system. Scrapie is a TSE that affects
sheep and goats"

I can tell you that for the FIRST time last Fall I was told to take the
head home with me from the butcher, as they will no longer dispose of it
, so we burned it.

Melanie