[Jacob-list] Stress, Mineral Deficiency, or what?

Gary Tomas Fay fayg at mebtel.net
Mon Mar 11 03:35:00 EST 2002

List,

Back in August there was a discussion about copper toxicity in sheep, everyone
felt avoiding copper like the plague would be solve the problem, but like so many
things, balance is required. One of my livestock texts never brought up copper
toxicity
only copper deficiency.

I pulled the reference:  "Feeds and Nutrition Digest" Their text chart section reads:
Signs in sucking lamb, swayback, muscular incoordination, partial paralysis of
hindquarters ... Sheep suffering from ... may produce 'steely or stringy' wool lacking

crimp and tinsel strength (ie when you pull on the ends, they break GTF) affinity for
dyes nd elasticity. Depigmentation of the wool of black sheep has been noted as a
sign of sever deficiency."

This can occur in areas where Copper is low and or Molybdenum is high such as
Florida and Coastal Plains the South East. Other counties would have to do their
own research as to the possibility

Gary