[Jacob-list] Herd Reduction

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Jul 24 07:52:04 EDT 2002

There is a flock in Kentucky that is selling out and delivery may be available for next week only.  Hardy Hill and Sheepside lines.  Unregistered, but purebred.

Yes, there are alot of ways to transport sheep, but the majority are cost prohibitive if you are only talking one sheep.  It may also be very hard to find transportation for just one sheep - no matter what you are willing to pay.  I tried to get two sheep from "there to here" this spring and found that many commercial haulers don't haul sheep, don't return your calls, or are too expensive unless they can work out a full load to your area.

Many breeders will offer transportation - Craft's from Iowa has made deliveries all over the country and Kate has offered transportation.  Again, the delivery costs are usually per load.  One sheep at $1/mile for 300 miles adds alot of money to a "bargain" sheep.  Of course, delivery options and conditions vary considerably and are up to the individuals involved.  Sometimes a breeder will be in your area anyway.

It would be great if breeders could get together and combine loads to make shipping costs more feasible.  Mary Ellen did the breed a great service with her cross country trips!  There are also gathering places where breeders can (and do) arrange to meet and exchange sheep as well as ideas.  MSWF, SAFF, AGM in the east and many more in other parts of the country.

Linda

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 05:32:52 -0400, Mary E Hansson wrote:
>Kathey,
>
>There  are all sorts of ways to move sheep from one point to
>another.  Health  papers and transportation costs are all required.
>There are haulers that  travel all over the country.....there are
>planes that transport them with  temperature restrictions.  Where
>there is a will, there is human ingenuity  to get them from one
>point or another.  It takes digging and quite a bit of  work and
>usually a number of $$ to make it happen.  Go for  it!
>
>I know  of several flocks in central NC that are (at the minimum)
>downsizing or getting  out of Jacob breeding entirely.  Offers of
>transportation have been made  with sales from Kate Shirley here.
>Others I can think of that are cutting  back on sheep are me, Kelly
>Foster, Joy Thomas, and maybe Elaina Kenyon.  I  would bet that Neal
>and Louise could find a few sheep as well up  here........lots of
>different lines in these flocks.
>

>Mary Ellen  Hansson
>
>ISeeSpots  Farm
>
>Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy  critters
>
>Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning  supplies
>
>www.iseespots.com

Visit our Jacob flock at:
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep