[Jacob-list] Hello Again

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 9 08:41:33 EDT 2002

My area is so dry, I've decided to sell all but 12 sheep.  Those that
don't sell will go to the sales.  Hay is now at $8 a bale (square, 50
pound).  I'm used to paying $25 for a 6-700 pound round bale.  I'm also
used to not feeding hay, except in the winter.

I just can't afford the hay anymore.  We did have some rain last week,
but it will take 8 weeks before the hay is ready to cut and their
hayfields have been decimated.  One farmer got only one out of three
cuttings.  Normally he gets 1200 bales per cutting.  He only got 150
bales!  Needless to say, he won't have hay to sell to me as he needs 600
for the cows.

The sales have been glutted with sheep and cows.  Prices are so low that
sheep are going for $10 a head.