[Jacob-list] Re: shearing and stands

Elaina Kenyon avillionfarm at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 18:17:42 EST 2002

In our area (piedmont of NC), all of the shearers are over 60 and I don't
see anyone young stepping up to learn the trade and take over once the
current generation of shearers isn't doing it anymore.  Because of this
(plus a natural desire for independence) last year prompted me to get
serious about learning to shear my own.  I think it is well worth learning
to do even if you don't intend to do your own flock most of the time.

I use the type of shearing stand that Fred and Joy describe (purchased from
Sydell) and hand shears.  I also purchased the book "Shearing Day" by Kevin
Ford.  Shears and book were under $50 investment.  Burgin & Ball shears are
the best kind to get.  I've watched Kevin work and read the book, but
otherwise have no "formal" training.  So far it is working out quite well.
I've done about a dozen animals totally on my own and another 15 or so with
help of friend.  When working with someone else I start at the crutch area
(mostly discarded) and work forward toward the front, rolling the fleece up
along the back of the sheep as we go.  Other person is working on the other
side.  You can do a sheep in less than 30 minutes this way.  One big
advantage of the hand shears (other than low cost compared to electric) is
they are quiet which in my experience (having compared both methods with
same sheep) keeps the sheep calmer.  Other advantage is that this method
leaves more wool on the sheep which is nice if you like to shear early.

Elaina Kenyon
Avillion Farm
Apex, NC