[Jacob-list] Portable Ultrasound?

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 22:03:51 EST 2002

Best if you let nature take it's course. I do a gentle
"tail lift" while mine are eating. As delivery
approaches, the tail will feel very floppy as you lift
it. The external changes are noticable. (pinker,
puffier, longer opening). Of course, my ewes are used
 to being handled (ears touched, feet picked up, tail
lifted, etc.) throughout the year. They are also used
to having their bellies scratched -- that way they
don't get upset when I'm checking for udder filling.

A good book is "Managing Your Ewe and her newborn
lambs" by Laura Lawson. It discussed normal
deliveries, abnormal deliveries (and what to do and
not do) and all kinds of possible problems. I also
bought Laura Lawson's book "Lamb Problems" which deals
more with lambs after they are weaned.

I run my ram with my flock all year long. Haven't seen
a problem with lambing. Ewe separates herself. I watch
for lambs and then move ewe and lamb into TLC area
(horse stall) for 24 - 48 hours depending upon weather
 and whether or not a multiple birth. An experienced
mom on a good day may just be left in the pasture
after I've examined the lamb to be sure it can suck,
iodine it's navel and check it's backside to see the
sex and weigh the little critter. Minimal disruption
is best. (wise words of another Jacob shepherd)

Most important thing to remember is not to panic. Get
a copy of the book, get a hot drink and do some
reading. Enjoy! Lambing is a wonderful time of year!

Joy T.

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm
Home of Jacob Sheep