[Jacob-list] Primitive Characteristics

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Tue Jan 8 18:57:23 EST 2002

Hi Mary:

Just curious - what is the wool product like from your downy type Jacob
fleeces?  All my Jacobs (and that's not many) are very crimpy - in fact,
recently when I registered a ram I was told by Ingrid that the fleece was
within the breed standard but getting close to being too crimpy.  Anyway,
when you spin the downy fleeces, is the yarn very elastic and springy,
enough for ribbing and socks?  Is it soft enough for next to the skin
clothing like sweaters, or is it more coarse?  I don't think I really
know what that kind of fleece is like because our Jacobs have definite
crimp to their fleeces, and my old Fieldwood Anna who was originally from
Susanna Davies flock, has a very crimpy fleece.  Are downy fleeces more
desirable for a particular type of utilization, i.e. is it more desirable
for use in weaving?  (Although many times a more coarse yarn is used for
weaving and I think you are describing a softness to the fleece.)

Sue Martin
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.